THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Monday 9 April 2012

Final Showdown

After so many weeks of coming out with proposal brief, conducting questionnaire, interviews and proposal writing, finally the last lap is here!! ORAL PRESENTATION

Preparation
My group met up once before the presentation. It was really useful as we can sit down together and run through the slides together, standardizing everything- types of bullets used, space between word and bullet, front size etc. During my first run through, I keep pausing and stuttering then realize the importance of coming up with a script to reduce “on-the-spot” jitters in needing to come up with proper sentences.

The day before…
Ok, so I admit in practicing my script only the night before! I practiced in front a mirror to observe my hand gestures. Every time my stop watch hits 4minute, I start to panic! The pre-presentation nervous-ness sets in. The memories of how my mind blank out during one of my mini dance performance terrors me. The disappointment in how I score poorly for all my CA’s thus far starts to kill me. All the negative voices keep lingering in my mind affecting me not getting enough rest.

Two hours before…
Oral presentation isn’t really that bad thinking it is just FIVE minutes. Team reached 7am to give ourselves ample time to set up the technology and to settle down. The last run through my team had did help me to be more confident.

It’s Showtime!
I made a conscious effort in reminding myself to smile more, to pause appropriately and to use more hand gestures. Stutter a little towards the end L Reminded myself too that my eye contact should be natural. 4 minutes reached and saw timekeeper HuiQi raising her hands. Somehow I knew that practice pays off as I did not start to get nervous when I knew I reached 4 minutes. Sitting up straight while teammates are presenting also helps to portray a more positive image.

Overall, I think that all my classmates had done their very best for their oral presentation. Candice and Malathi who were very sick stand through the end to put up a good fight. Kudos to them! To me, putting aside all the negative thoughts that burdened me (not thinking about  my grades thus far, and how will I be JUDGED in this presentation), relieves me from the stress.

As the Chinese saying goes, people observing from the side sees it best, I would really appreciate dear friends if you could give me some feedbacks perhaps on the area that I did not do well so I can improve. Don’t worry, my “face skin” is quite thick and I value more on improving myself (:

4 comments:

Candice said...

Hi Jo dear,

I think we've come a long way from the start of this semester, working on this project, till the end of everything. It's been great to see how you've opened up so much!

I just wanna tell you that I am really impressed from last Sunday's meet up where we had our team practice to your actual presentation. I think you have really done a good job girl! :D

Thank you for encouraging me, especially yesterday when I was so ill. See you this Thursday for our last lesson babe!

terence said...

Hey gal! I felt you totally did great that day. And honestly, it was a far cry from your peer teaching. You were confident, wearing a smile and gave a smooth delivery for your part. You maintained eye contact with the class and was able to garner attention with that quick intro to your section.

Hard to find any fault with you that day though. Haha. Maybe just that slight slight tinge or nervousness. Other than that, great!

Unknown said...

I agree with Terence on that, your performance was great and it was difficult to find any flaw with it. The content was rather well delivered and i particularly liked how you started your part with the scientist story. Tone and pace of delivery was just right and it did capture the audiences' attention. However you tend to look a little nervous when listening to questions asked by audience, perhaps that is the only area that needs attention, all else was good.

Excellent job fellow peer teacher!

Hui Qi said...

Hi JOOO!

Yes i really love your oral presentation on monday. Perhaps the joke on the physicist, chemist and biologist really captured my attention. I could really see you making a conscientious effort in maintaining a smile together with effective eye contact towards the audience. Like you, i was feeling pretty nervous and yes, those negative thoughts did occur in my mind too. However, we just got to overcome them and stop thinking!

Cheers to your awesome performance and see you tomorrow!:)